Sunday, January 24, 2010

Dumpsta Diving

We have new neighbors down the way. They moved in right around the holidays. Last week on the way home from dropping Oldest off at school we drove by their house. Its on our street. As we drove by I noticed their trash waiting to be picked up. We continued to drive by. Then we drove by our house and back around to their house. We stopped. Littliest wondered what in the world we were doing. I said no worries and jumped out of the car. I then began to stuff our....my treasure from our new neighbors trash into the minivan and over Littliest. Again he wondered what on earth we were doing.
This is what we got! Well it had something else in it of course.
This huge "faux"....faux makes fake sound so much classier....palm. When I saw it I immediately knew it would be perfect for the back porch. Something I would not have to water or feel guilty if I killed it. I transferred it out of its ho hum basket to this decorative planter that actually did hold a live palm on our front porch at the last house.

Then I wondered what to do with the basket. This is what the fire pit looked like.

This is what it looks like now! A perfect use for just a ho hum basket!

So not a real dumpster dive but my first time ever rummaging thru somebody's trash. Littliest kept telling me I was stealing it. I kept explaining that they were throwing it away. He then said that it was for the trash men and not me. Its hard trying to explain treasure hunting to a 4 yr old. What is one mans trash is another mans treasure! Anybody wanna come on over for some sweet tea!?;)

This is my next project to tackle since the weather is getting nicer. As you can see I have already started on it. Stay tuned for the finish!



16 comments:

  1. I've been tempted to "Dumpsta Dive" but I always get "the look" from hubby, HA!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did think twice once I actually stopped the car. I looked to see if there were any neighbors out. If The Hubster had been in the car he would have moaned and groaned but in the end he would have gone back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL, you go girl! I think that's hilarious. I can just hear your son telling anyone that will listen that his mama was stealing from a neighbor :)

    The plant looks awesome on your patio.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL I'm giggling at your son telling you it was stealing. hee hee Way to go on finding treasures. I wish I could find treasures. lol
    Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pamela that looks really beautiful! Isn't it funny how things work out for the best. I'm so glad you could use it.

    Many Blessings, ~Melissa :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Littliest did tell his brother I stole it after we picked him up from school. Oldest asked what the heck Littliest was talking about. It was quite entertaining.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pamela, that is HILARIOUS!! I love Littlest's concern that you were stealing from the trash men! LOL! And, your finds are quite fetching on your patio! Perfect for a glass of sweet tea!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great find! It looks really nice on your patio. Just in the last year I have started to pick up some little 'treasures' in our neighborhood. I have redone a couple of wooden chairs I found at a neighbors. I felt a little weird when I was out in the garage painting them and they drove by slowly. Could have been my imagination, but I don't think so.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi there Pamela! My name is Mindy...I'm Marla's daughter from Always Nesting. For Christmas my mom and dad gifted our newest little dude with two of your adorable bibs...the football players fabric and a bold argyle. Just want to say, WE LOVE THEM! Great quality, love the snaps (as opposed to velcro) and BIG enough to actually catch the messes. You are so talented!


    I have three baby showers in the upcoming months so I'll be ordering three bibs this week (we're waiting on one mama to find out the gender of her little bun in the oven). I can't wait to gift them to my friends!

    I also gave you a shout out on my Facebook page. Gotta' spread the word! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh wow! Nothing like a wonderful comment on a Monday! Thanx Mindy!! I am so glad you are enjoying them!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great haul! I especially like the palm, looks real from here. Glad I came across your blog at Tx Blogging Gals.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi, I stopped by from TExas bloggin gals, so glad I did I love your creativity and your bids look like something everyone should have. I have lot of grand-babies.

    Oh yea, I almost forgot, I want to make these tassles too and I am always late sending presents to my folks. Always. Too funny.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yay, what a great find, and what an even better transformation :) I need to start getting outside and clean up a bit too. Have a great day Pamela,
    Hugs Denise

    ReplyDelete
  14. Aren't you a clever little minx? Very cute and sly recycling! Well done, say I!

    ReplyDelete
  15. what a lovely fire pit! I love those. That one is so decorative. It goes so perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Pamela -- What a great find! And it looks perfect on your beautiful back patio! And good for you for working up the nerve to "trash pick"! My neighbors look at me funny too, but oh well....I'm happy to be the crazy culdesac trash picker!

    Thanks for linking up to "Trash Pickin' Thursday"!

    ReplyDelete

I love when ya stop by so leave me a comment if ya have some time! I always try and respond but sadly enough sometimes I am unable to return the love due to noreply blogger status.