Wednesday, February 17, 2010

No Guts No Glory


So I did it! I finally did it! I have been wanting to do it for awhile now. I have been intimidated by doing it so I never did it. I have had the supplies to do it for over a month now. Today I just did it! It was too cold to go for a walk so Littliest played in Legoland on the computer and I just jumped in and went for it.

If you stopped by last week I posted a pic of my inspiration mantel. Yep, it is that one up there. Very very pretty.

This is the before pic of our mantel. Very traditional and very white. I like white. Just wanted something different. I am into French Country/ Old World these days.

This is the mantel not quite two hours later. I used SW Chateau Brown and SW glaze. I mixed them together and added a little water. I then just painted and painted and then wiped and wiped and then painted some more. At first I freaked because I thought I was putting it on too thick so I wiped it almost clean. As I went along I decided that thicker was better and so I went back over the part I wiped down previously. I used a damp cloth to wipe it down after about ten minutes. I did this in sections so that the paint/glaze would not dry so much that I would not be able to wipe it off. If I wiped too much off I just lightly went back over it with the brush.

Here is the mantel in all her glory. For $25 we now have a new look and plenty of paint/glaze left over for future projects. Is it like my inspiration pic? No not really except that I used the same colors but that is okay. Inspiration pics are just that inspirations! Oh don't worry, I painted the top first so it would dry first because I am impatient and wanted things back in order ASAP. Let me say that huge mirror was actually a lot easier to get down and put back up then it was to get it up there the first time! I thought I was going to need The Hubster but I didn't which was good cause I did not want to wait on him. If I had waited then I probably would have chickened out again.
Linked up with:
Its So Very Cheri
P.s. Truth be told not sure about it but don't tell The Hubster! It is just paint and can quickly become classic white again! I am making myself live with it for a month and then we shall see what happens.

19 comments:

  1. Pamela, you did a great job. I want to paint my built-ins and mantel, but not sure if I just want to glaze or repaint and then glaze. Still deciding.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am liking a whole lot!! I want to glaze my kitchen cabinets but haven't gotten up the nerve...this gives me inspiration and courage. I hope you grow to love it because I think it gives great personality to your mantle.
    ~Gay~
    itsahodgepodgelife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it looks great, Pamela! You just need to get used to it. If I could paint my kitchen cabinets, I would do the white with a glaze. I think you absolutely should live with it for a little while before you make any change back.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad you had the guts, I love it. I looks so high end now. You did a great job, I am so glad you shared.

    Cha Cha

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, I stopped by via Texas Blogging Gals. What a transformation, your mantle looks fab!

    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanx gals! Hopefully The Hubster won;t freak when he gets home. He said it was okay because it is just paint in the end. Still not sure though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think it turned out fabulous! I also love the old world feel and look! I think you did a great job matching your inspiration picture :)
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  8. My Cowboy would FREAK!!!! But I absolutely LOVE IT!!! Now I need to go and paint something, HA!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It does NOT look like dirt!!!!!! I love it. What about clear coating it with a satin poly? You may miss the sheen.....

    I think it looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Pamela, honey, it looks beautiful! I love it that it looks textured. Can you post a close up picture of the paint? I love the color.

    I'm loving that glaze thingy and want to try it on something. Maybe a piece of furniture now that middle daughter is into an apartment I have an entire room to redo.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, that looks GREAT!!! I think I need to do that to something in my house! hehe

    ReplyDelete
  12. OMG, your "new" mantle is JUST BEAUTIFUL! I have a white mantle very similar....hmmmm....you've got my wheels a turnin'!

    I found your blog through Texas Blogging Gals and so glad I did! I will visit again soon!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love it! I have almost your identical Before mantel, and I am now officially dying to copy your After mantel. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You did great job. JUST BEAUTIFUL! you could paint the mirror the same color

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think it turned out great!

    Thank you so much for linking up with the Talented Tuesday link party at My Frugal Family, which is hosted every Tuesday. Please feel free to stop back in every week and post your newest projects!

    ReplyDelete
  16. ~WOW! Pamela your fireplace looks gorgeous with the stain! I really love your home. We have the same taste in home decor'. *Smiles*

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oooh, Pamela! Looks great! And I LOVE that little black/white lamp on your side table. Very cute. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love when ya stop by so leave me a comment if ya have some time! I always try and respond but sadly enough sometimes I am unable to return the love due to noreply blogger status.