Thursday, May 27, 2010

Guest Bathroom Make Over

Hop on over to Funky Junk Interiors for more awesome oldies! The button is on my sidebar or just click on the link above!

Today is the last day of school for Littliest! It is hard to believe that summer is already here. It seems just like yesterday that I was dreading taking down Christmas lights! Littliest actually has early release today which means not enough time to do really anything so I decided to share with ya'll what I have been working on this past week. As you know my focus right now is on the mother-in-law suite and it has an attached bath, teeny tiny but none the less it is there and needed some loving too.

Here is a pic from when we were house hunting. Really it is teeny. Behind the door are two doors that open up to a tiny closet. You can not open the closet unless the bathroom door is closed.

Here is what the bath looked like just days ago. All I had done in here was kinda sorda hang the Country Living shower curtain I purchased on line from Kmart and painted the walls. It was still kinda just blah and so I decided to take the plunge. It was a major plunge and well I was afraid I was heading to possible divorce court but I did it. I painted the cabinet!! I never would have in any of our other homes but this home I vowed to make my own and well if we see it is holding the house back from selling I can always just bust out the paint brush and turn it white again.

Tada! Here is how it turned out!

A bit better pic. I think it turned out wonderfully! I showed The Hubster what I did only after he came home with an IPad of all things! We had already discussed the IPad and I did tell him he could have one for Fathers Day, Anniversary and his birthday but he thought I was going to be upset since I did not know he actually had one in his possession. Opportunity rang and I said well honey I promise not to be upset if you promise not to be upset!;) See I had mentioned what I was going to do all this past week with no comment from him. I knew he was not listening so yes that was the perfect time to introduce him to our new guest bath! I do though think The Hubster needs his eyes checked because he thinks the cabinet is navy blue. Um, no black honey really black. He thought something at Pottery Barn the other day was navy as well and nope it was black.
These knobs are my favorite part I think. I purchased them at HobLob for like $3 for both. Ignore the goopy looking paint smudge there. In no way are the cabinets perfect but in my defense they did not start out perfect. The main reason I was not hesitant to paint them was because the painters did a TERRIBLE job on them to begin with so I figured I could not make them any worse. I used a semi gloss black paint from Lowes that cost all of $10. Let me do say this, I think next time I will just use a satin. I HATED painting with the semi gloss. It was a major pain and shows way too many paint strokes. I would rather use the satin finish and then go back over it with some rub on poly before I ever use semi again.

You may remember me mentioning in a previous post about our master bath how I despised these light fixtures. Well actually it is not the fixture per say I despise but the metal skirty things around the globes. I HATE those. I think it dates the fixture. I attempted to take a globe down in the guest bath and it broke. Today I was looking at the one sided globeless fixture and decided that I would attempt to take the other one down since we have an extra fixture we replaced in the half bath.

New light fixture= FREE! Well at least I think it looks new. Taking the skirty metal things off and cleaning the the globes made all the difference I think. I am currently trying to hunt down a new faucet fixture for cheap. I want one of those that says hot and cold with white porcelain knobs.

Here is a pic I took while standing in the bath tub. It was really hard trying to get the right light for pics. So far so good I think. I like it so much now that I go in there for potty breaks instead of the half bath just so I can look around!Ha! Now I just need to accessorize and figure out a window treatment.
Off to get Littliest now! Have a wonderful day and don't forget to enter my first eva Give Away! Deadline to enter is midnight on the first.

P.s. I am linking up to The Shabby Cottage Transformation Thursdays! I just stumbled upon her blog and there are sooo many wonderful inspiration posts on there!



16 comments:

  1. Pamela, I think you did a great job on those cabinets. You are very brave and the end result is awesome. Love what you've done so far. It all looks awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanx Marla! I am itching to find that Ralph Lauren fabric so I can add some color in there. Our Macys does not carry Ralph. Go figure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW! That looks fabulous! So creative and so brave to try a whole new color scheme.
    (Love your music too!)
    Karen
    Ladybug Creek

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks great Pamela! You are BRAVE! I love the matching medicine cabinet. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job!! Love it...what a transformation!! And...I LOVE Ralph lauren fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome transformation. I love the cabinet painte black. You did a great job. The shower curtain is so pretty and the blue walls.
    ♥ Joy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my....I love it black! You did good! Isn't it amazing what a little paint can do! Liking the shower curtain, too!
    Can you believe summer is here! Hope you have a great weekend and holiday!
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great job Pamela....I really love that shower curtain too, so pretty!~ The jasmine we grow on the brick...we do have to trim it....it grows wild and sometimes drops when getting too high...but for the most part it is manageable.

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOVE the black (definitely NOT navy) cabinet! The bathroom looks wonderful!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great job on the cabinets, they look awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It looks fabuloso!

    I am glad you matched the medicine cabinet too. I would have forgotten to do it :)

    You are doing a great job at making it your own home.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Found your blog from Texas Bloggers. I am now following you and I took your button to my blog. Have a wonderful holiday weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am never afraid to paint anything in my house. If you mess up, just start over:) I painted our kitchen cabinets in an old home that we lived in in Georgia. I loved them. I think that black is delish but then again my kitchen now has black cabinets:) Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great job Pamela. You give me inspiration to get out a paintbrush and paint something. However, my hubby sounds like yours. He never seems to thrilled with my ideas. Maybe I will have to change his mind, ha ha.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is the exact...I mean exact floor plan and space size my master bath has. I wondered if anyone else has such a small bath. Thank you for showing me how lovely it can look.

    ReplyDelete

I love when ya stop by so leave me a comment if ya have some time! I always try and respond but sadly enough sometimes I am unable to return the love due to noreply blogger status.