Saturday, July 9, 2011

Long Awaited Reveal!!

It has been almost three months since The Hubster woke one Saturday morning and had the bright idea that Yes, we could redo our floors ourselves. I having have wanted to change out our floors before we even purchased our home said sure why not. Doing it ourselves was a brilliant idea.

Reno of the floors ended up involving the reno of our fireplace surround as well. We ripped out all the carpet in our living room and laid the new wood flooring down not once but three times!! First we floated it with underlayment. Decided after a few weeks we did not like the hallow sound of the flooring. Thought maybe it was because we did not level the floor before hand so up it all came and we leveled. Still hallow and so up it came up once again and decided to glue the flooring down. Soooo much better! We were thankful that we had purchased flooring that gave us three differ options of installation. I do not recommend gluing your flooring down unless it states that you can do so. Just thought I would throw that in there as a side note.

Well for the past few months I have been going on and on about our journey and how it was taking us FOREVER. Last weekend after tearing out the old glued down flooring ourselves we waved the flag of surrender. We were tired and I was wanting my house back so we called in the pros! 

Without much further ado here are the Before & After pics of our floor reno! 

Since the floors were finished today we have yet to move all the furniture back in. Makes for some more great Before & After posts!;) As you can see we decided to lay them horizontally. See those stairs believe it or not we are actually talking abt trying to tackle those ourselves! Yes, we are a glutton for punishment. I may make a video for the stairs and enter the True Value contest for $2500 I read abt on Miss Mustardseeds

Here is the office. The before pics are from when we first moved in and before I painted. This room looks sooo different!

View from office to foyer and then the before & after of the dining room. I was wanting to do some type of wainscotting in the dining room before we move everything back in but it is just not in the budget right now so I have decided to just be happy with my new floors and chandy! The Hubster hopefully will be installing the chandy for me tomorrow! I am really excited and can not wait! 

Though the floors are done I still have this to tackle! Something to do this upcoming week when I feel like being a night owl!;)

This was the BIGGEST reno that we had ever attempted by ourselves or with help and in the end we think it turned out pretty awesome. Total quote for project with materials was around $10,000. Total actual cost was a little less than $5,000 for supplies and all The Hubsters new toys/tools. That total even includes hiring out the tail end. Not too shabby!

Thanx for coming along on our journey! 
 Linking up to the following linky parties:






38 comments:

  1. Oh, Pamela they look soooo good. I know you are so glad to have them finished.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just Stunning!
    I love it! Great Job!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look really good girl! I know you are very excited to have them done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are stunning! I know you are so happy! Okay, I think I've missed something...what happened after you glued them down that caused you to have to rip them up? And was any of that salvageable?
    I've considered doing our stairs but I've worried about someone coming down, as in ALL the way down, in stocking feet! Namely ME!

    ReplyDelete
  5. They look fantastic. I love the look and so wish I had hardwood. Beautiful job. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks absolutely beautiful!!! I bet you are thrilled to have them done.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that flooring, Pamela! Love the finish! How do you like it in your foyer laid the opposite of what you had? I can't wait to see your stuff with it! Sometimes I think we need to know our limits and not just in what we can accomplish but in time of being discombobulated.

    ReplyDelete
  8. They look amazing! You guys did a wonderful job!

    ReplyDelete
  9. very pretty. I absolutely LOVE wood floors.

    megan
    craftycpa.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Pamela, I know you are glad it's done. You guys should be very proud - it looks so good and think about that hunk of money you saved!!!
    Have fun dressing it back!
    Rhonda

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the textures that are seen in your wood, what an amazing transformation. Adds a little rustic to your area. I love love love the blue room, I wish you would post about color and technique on the blue wall and the color of the opposite wall, it is absolutely breathtaking and the flooring just really sets it off.
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Pamela, wow you guys are so very talented WOW who need this old house magazine with folks like you around! Great hubby!!!!! wowowowowowow they are just beautiful! Great job!you need to send this to a magazing or someone to get it out there! thanks for stoppin by and the sweet comment! hugs Kat =^.^=

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your floors look wonderful. I love the change in the direction of the flooring. And thanks for showing me there is a light at the end of the of a flooring project. Our pros come on Tues to finish up our DIY flooring.
    It looks great, thanks for sharing.
    Traci

    ReplyDelete
  14. Cool new floors. I bet you're glad the long wait is finally over! Can't wait to see pics of everything back in place.

    ReplyDelete
  15. They look beautiful Pamela. I know you are so glad to have them done. You do know that I am not going to show my hubby this post don't ya? I have showed him the others where ya'll were doing them your selves, and told him if others could do their own, so could we. Oh well, we will see this winter what we end up doing. Again, looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful. I love the rustic tones in the wood. I can't believe you did them yourselves!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Just beautiful! It must make you so happy to have them done and have had them turn out so great. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  18. The floors look AMAZING!!! You guys did such a fantastic job and they are gorgeous. I love the detail in them and I know you are so thrilled to have this project done!
    Great job my friend,
    Vanessa

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful transformation!!! You must be so happy with them. Lots of work, but so rewarding when finished.
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love the floors! It was worth all the pain and suffering! lol
    Dropping by from Met Monday. I hope you'll come see the nursery I helped DD2 create.

    Allison
    Atticmag

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great job! They look amazing! I'm sure you're so excited to have them done and to get the rooms back in business. :)

    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  22. The floors are beautiful. :)

    cheryl

    www.paintedstudio.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. Pamela, YOur new floors are just beautiful. The way you have them laid makes a huge statement!
    It was really worth all of your hard work.
    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  24. I'd love to do my stairs so why don't you do yours first and show me how? :o) Found your link at Kim's...incredible job on the floors. You and hubby should be very proud.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Woo Hoo!! Your new wood floors are so gorgeous! Wish I had some.
    Enjoy them.
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wow Pamela! It sure looks different and I LOVE it! Great job to you and the Hubs and kudos to you both for knowing your limitations. Enjoy your lovely home!!!
    xoxo,
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  27. Your floors look great! Love the natural look. I'm impressed with all your hard work and the cost!!! Sounds like one of those painful projects that was totally worth it in the end :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Me again! Meant to invite you to stop by and enter my Home Goods GC giveaway :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. I love your floor, found you over at Kim's WOW. I'm your newest follower!
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  30. My what a job but what gorgeous results!!!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Your floors are GORGEOUS! Great work!!

    Coley at
    www.whatyoumakeit-coley.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  32. They look fantastic ~ I bet you are just thrilled to have it done. We have several projects going on that we initially thought we would do ourselves ~ hahahaha. Calling in the pros is always a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Super, super gorgeous!! Blessings... Polly

    ReplyDelete
  34. Absolutely gorgeous Pamela!! Love them!!! Sharing this on FB~ thanks for sharing at Feathered Nest Friday! :)

    ReplyDelete
  35. This looks terrific Pamela! Love the new look of the floors and the colors on the walls!
    Wonderful job!
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  36. Your floors turned out gorgeous! You did a great job! Thanks for linking it up!
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  37. Oh my goodness Pamela! They are stunning!! You all should be so proud of yourselves for taking on this project. A beautiful, beautiful job.

    Heather

    ReplyDelete

I love when ya stop by so leave me a comment if ya have some time! I always try and respond but sadly enough sometimes I am unable to return the love due to noreply blogger status.